Veggie Stew Casserole with Whole Wheat Dumplings is moist and reminiscent of a delicious stew. It could be eaten as an entree for vegetarians or as a side dish to accompany the meat. I created this recipe because I wanted a vegetable dish using the rarely used vegetable parsnips. My idea for whole wheat dumplings is so simple and easy; they are like cheater dumplings. I simply cubed 100% whole wheat bread, added the liquid ingredients and the bread cubes become dumpling-like once the dish is fully cooked. I am in love with the idea of a more healthy dumpling. My Grandma always made dumplings that were so yummy but they were made with the less healthy white flour biscuits.
This website uses affiliate links. Please see the disclaimer page in the menu. Thank you.
All the Vegetables and Fiber!
I added many vegetables to this dish including carrots, parsnips, zucchini, onion, and celery. This tasty casserole reminds me of stew due to the moist dumplings, the flavor from the thyme, and the vegetables. The white parsnips make me feel like I’m eating potatoes, but I’m not, I’m eating a healthy parsnip instead. Potatoes would be a good addition to this recipe, but if you are trying to reduce carbs I’d skip the potatoes. This dish is loaded with fiber from all the vegetables and 100% whole wheat bread.
Dumplings are such tasty comfort food. Even people who don’t like the flavor of whole wheat bread will love these dumplings because they don’t even taste like whole wheat. The bread cubes absorb all the moisture and they become soft moist morsels that just melt in your mouth in the expected dumpling fashion.
Veggie Stew Casserole with Whole Wheat Dumplings:
Add this dish to any weekday meal or it would be a great addition to a holiday meal as well. It is a great dish for fall or winter when people crave stew. This tasty dish will warm your belly, satisfy your desire for comfort food but with healthier whole wheat dumplings.
Copyright ©2016 Julie Hoag Writer. All Rights Reserved.
English Muffin Bread Veggie Quiche
Veggie Stew Casserole with Whole Wheat Dumplings
- 1/4 cup melted butter completely melt in the microwave
- 3 slices 100% whole wheat bread I used Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain 100% whole wheat bread. Cut into cubes.
- 1 cup carrots peeled and sliced to make bite size pieces
- 1 cup parsnips peeled and sliced, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup parsely chopped
- 1 cup zucchini sliced and chop slices into small pieces
- 1/4 cup onion diced into small pieces
- 1 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup 1% milk or use skim milk
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- Cut bread slices into cubes. Melt the butter completely in the microwave. Warm broth if cold. Stir together the melted butter and broth. Spray a 2 quart rectangular glass pan with cooking spray and spread bread cubes in single layer across the bottom of the pan. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and cut carrots and parsnips into slices and bite size pieces, 1 cup of each. Slice zucchini and cut into small pieces enough for 1 cup. Dice celery (for 1/2 cup) and onion (for 1/4 cup). Stir vegetables and spread evenly over the bread.
- Add the ground thyme, garlic salt, and grated parmesan cheese to the broth and butter mixture and stir well. Pour mixture over vegetables. Pour the milk all over the top. Sprinkle with dried parsley. Cover with tin foil and cook for 1 hour at 400 degrees. Remove foil and cook for another half hour until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Let cool before enjoying.
Leave a Reply