Spicy Black Bean Avocado Dip
I love this recipe because it is versatile as it can be used in two ways: in Spicy Black Bean Avocado Roll-ups or as a Spicy Black Bean Avocado Dip. This Roll-up appetizer I created would be a yummy addition to a Holiday party or any group gathering. Or it can be enjoyed as a tasty dip for tortilla chips or veggies. The dip is especially delicious with grape or cherry bite-size tomatoes. The southwest taste comes through strong in this tasty appetizer made with fresh healthy veggies and beans.
This website uses affiliate links. Please see the disclaimer page for more details.
If you like Mexican southwest flavors, you will love this appetizer/dip. I used a food processor to chop the veggies into very small pieces. It works best if the green pepper is pureed and juicy in order to keep the mixture smooth. This appetizer is easy to make but it does require extra time to firm up in the fridge before slicing the tortilla roll. It is too soft to cut right away so it definitely needs this time in the fridge.
I love the ingredients in this recipe, they are some of my favorites. Ripe avocado, salsa, cheese, and black beans are a delicious combination. A ripe avocado will work the best to ensure a smoother texture in the end rather than a not quite ripe avocado. The amount of onion could be adjusted for taste as could the taco seasoning. Without the taco seasoning, the flavor of the beans comes through more readily. With the taco seasoning added, the flavors blend but the end result is a more spicy taste. It is yummy either way! Customize it to your own personal taste.
This is an original recipe by Julie Hoag.
Copyright ©2016 Julie Hoag Writer. All Rights Reserved.
Spicy Black Bean Avocado Roll-ups and Dip
- 1/3 cup onion Finely chopped, I used a food processor to chop.
- 1 whole green pepper Finely chopped, I used a food processor and chopped until almost pureed and juicy. Just over 1/2 cup.
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- 1/2 cup black beans Rinse beans in a strainer. I used Joan of Arc Brand. I pureed beans in food processor with a ripe avocado.
- 1 whole ripe avocado Remove peel and pit. puree in food processor with black beans
- 7.5 ounces spicy jalapeno cream cheese spread Set out to soften before mixing in. I used Philadelphia brand.
- 1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning Use about 1 teaspoon per two cups. Add seasoning last and stir. To make it less spicy, skip the seasoning altogether. I used Spice Islands brands.
- 4-5 individual 10 1/2 inch flour tortillas To spread mixture on, roll, slice. Skip tortillas if using this as a dip.
- Use a food processor to finely chop the onion. Use a food processor to finely chop the green pepper. Almost puree it to the point of being a bit juicy. Set cream cheese out to soften.
- Peel and remove pit from avocado. Add it to the food processor. Rinse black beans in a colander and add to food processor. Blend together.
- Combine shredded cheddar cheese, softened jalapeno cream cheese, green pepper, onion, salsa, black beans and avocado in a large bowl and stir. Add taco seasoning if spicy flavor is desired. Stir well. IF using as a dip, stop here. IF making Roll-ups continue on.
- Spread mixture in a thin layer across the whole tortilla.
- Roll tortilla and refrigerate for 1 1/2 to 2 hours for to solidify before slicing into one inch rolls.