I selected some of my favorite ingredients to make this Hummus Artichoke Tortilla Stack Sandwich. This yummy stacked tortilla sandwich is several layers thick with filling in between the five layers of tortillas. Once compiled and stacked, it is cooked in the oven. This Hummus Artichoke Tortilla Stack Sandwich could be enjoyed as a sandwich if cut in larger slices or carve it up into smaller pieces to use as an appetizer.
I love these tasty ingredients:
- Pine nut hummus mixed with parmesan cheese
- Can of Rotel diced tomatoes with chilis and cream cheese
- Can of artichokes and cream cheese
What Makes This Sandwich So Delicious
Well there is cheese and cheese makes everything more delicious of course. I also love how the top tortilla gets crispy and flaky in the oven. The light flakiness of the top tortilla gives it a delightful crunch. This sandwich has a bit of spiciness due to the chilis.
How to Make it
Separately mix up the three delicious blended mixtures in a food processor. Next simply spread mixtures across the tortilla before another tortilla is placed on top. The process is similar to building a lasagne. You can follow my pattern listed below or make your own pattern.
Variations to Please All
I love this recipe I made on a whim based on another recipe I frequently make, only this one is larger and more elaborate. This recipe is vegetarian, but precooked shredded meats could easily be added in. If a meat eater were to add meat to this recipe, using shredded precooked meat or very small pieces would work the best. I often make a hybrid form of my dishes in that I add meat to one side and not the other. We are a mixed family of meat eaters and vegetarians so I’ve learned to cook in this hybrid type of way.
This is an original recipe by Julie Hoag.
Hummus Artichoke Tortilla Stack Sandwich
- 10 ounces Pine Nut hummus I used the Sabra Brand.
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese divided into two four ounce portions
- 10 ounces can of Rotel diced tomatoes and chilis drain and lay on a paper towel and blot to remove some moisture
- 14 ounces can of quartered artichokes drain. I cut them in half too because I have a small food processor.
- 5 large 10 inch flour tortillas
- Filling mixture #1. Combine 10 ounces of pine nut hummus with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese in food processor and blend for 30-40 seconds. Scoop into a bowl.
- Filling mixture #2. Combine the drained and blotted can of Rotel tomatoes and chilis and 4 ounces of cream cheese in food processor. Blend for 30-40 seconds. Scoop into a bowl.
- Filling mixture #3. Combine the drained chopped artichokes with 4 ounces of cream cheese. Blend 40 seconds to completely chop up the artichokes. Scoop into a bowl.
- Use mixtures 1 & 2: Spray a cookie sheet pan with Pam cooking spray. Lay down the first flour tortilla and spread 1/3 cup filling mixture #1 (hummus and parmesan cheese) all over the tortilla. Next spread 1/3 cup filling mixture #2 (tomatoes/chilis/cream cheese) on top of mixture #1.
- Lay a tortilla on top.
- Use mixtures 1 & 2: Repeat spreading 1/3 cup filling mixture #1 (hummus and parmesan cheese) and 1/3 cup filling mixture #2 (tomatoes/chilis/cream cheese). Lay a tortilla on top.
- Use mixtures 3 & 2: Spread 1/2 cup filling mixture #3 (artichokes and cream cheese). Next spread 1/3 cup remaining filling mixture #2 (tomatoes/chlilis/cream cheese) all over tortilla. Top with a tortilla.
- Use mixtures 1 & 3: Spread remaining 1/3 cup mixture #1 (hummus and parmesan cheese) all over the tortillas. Next spread 1/2 cup mixture #3 (artichokes and cream cheese). Note: I always have extra mixture #3 left, so I save the extra yummy filling to spread on crackers or for tortilla chip dip.
- Top with a tortilla.
- Cook it at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. The top tortilla will turn brown and crisp up. Cut into six slices with a pizza cutter for 6 servings, or cut in desired smaller pieces to serve as an appetizer.
To Make it EasyTo simplify stacking for this recipe and layer the filling mixtures the way I did:
- Mixture #1 (hummus and parmesan cheese) & Mixture #2 (tomatoes/chilis/cream cheese)
- Repeat Mixture #1 (hummus and paremesan cheese) & Mixture #2 (tomatoes/chilis/cream cheese)
- Mixture #3 (artichokes and cream cheese) & Mixture #2 (tomatoes/chilis/cream cheese)
- Mixture #1 (hummus and parmesan cheese) & Mixture #3 (artichokes and cream cheese)
Leave a Reply