Spicy Potato Salad Egg Bake for Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner
Eggs are a great nutritional food item to include in your diet. Today eggs aren’t just for breakfast. Many people eat eggs for lunch or dinner as well. Kids especially seem to love breakfast foods for dinner. That is because breakfast foods are so yummy.
I love eggs, especially spicy eggs, and my other love is egg salad. Like most moms I prefer to cook meals my whole family will eat, but sometimes we have to make favorite foods and let the others just have a different meal. My husband likes hot sauce on his eggs too so I decided to make up a recipe with all this in mind. My boys like eggs also but only one likes spicy so only one of the three will eat this. However, my husband and I loved this tasty recipe for Spicy Potato Salad Egg Bake. This recipe is perfect for vegetarians and even non-vegetarians will love it.
This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclaimer in the top menu bar for details.
The ingredients for this egg bake are easy to find in the stores and easy to use. These ordinary ingredients together make a tasty dish. They include:
- frozen shredded hash browns
- coconut oil
- crispy jalapenõs (LOVE this new food product by French’s™!)
- skim milk
- olive oil mayonnaise
- spicy brown mustard
- grated parmesan cheese
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper sauce
- mild salsa for topping
- optional: if meat is desired, add browned pork breakfast sausage or ham (I add this half the dish to make it a hybrid vegetarian/meat dish for the meat-eaters in my family)
I love to create new recipes and try different combinations. We all love good food. People drive miles and miles and pay a lot to eat in good restaurants. Good food is important to us all. Plus for those of us who like to cook and bake, it really is fun. I know not all people feel that way hence why restaurants and prepared foods are popular. Pre-prepared foods are convenient that is for sure, but no one ever beats homemade. Recipes made at home have love added and discernment for individual tastes. Many people like to make foods their family will enjoy and love. This is a family favorite at my house. I hope you enjoy it!
Variations on this Recipe
Although this recipe for Spicy Potato Egg Salad Bake is vegetarian, cooked meat could easily be added. My husband loves this dish with ground pork breakfast sausage or ham. I would suggest cooking the sausage first before adding it to this egg bake to ensure it gets fully cooked. Ham chunks could just be simply added. Add a croissant or crescent roll on the side for a perfect breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner.
This is an original recipe by Julie Hoag.
Spicy Potato Egg Salad Bake
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes Ore Ida brand, shredded or cubed. Can be added in frozen state.
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1 cup crispy jalapenos French's brand. Divide into two 1/2 cup portions. 1/2 cup for in the dish, 1/2 cup for toppings.
- 10 eggs scrambled with a fork in a bowl
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese Kraft
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper scant if desired
- 4 Tablespoons cayenne pepper sauce 1 Tbsp. in the dish and remainder for topping
- 4 Tablespoons medium salsa for topping as desired
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted to drizzle over veggies
- Grease a 9x13 inch glass baking pan with 1 T coconut oil. I use a paper towel to spread it. Spread 3 cups frozen shredded hash browns in the pan. Sprinkle veggies across potatoes: 1/4 cup diced onion, 1/4 cup diced celery, and 1/2 cup crispy jalapenos. Drizzle melted butter over the vegetables.
- Scramble the 10 eggs with a fork in a large bowl. Add 2 cups skim milk, 1/2 cup olive oil mayo, 2 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard, 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and 1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper sauce. Mix very well with a whisk or hand held mixer. Looks like a pretty mixture, doesn't it!!
- Pour egg mixture over the vegetables in the pan. If meat is desired, add 1 cup browned pork breakfast sausage or ham to half of the pan for hybrid dish or if meat is desired for entire dish, sprinkle 2 cups meat across. For hybrid half vegetarian/half meat dish, don't jostle pan or meat will drift to vegetarian side.
- Cook for 55-60 minutes at 400 degrees. Ten minutes before it is done, pull it out and sprinkle 1/2 cup crispy jalapenos across the top of the egg bake, if desired (it's good without this part too). The egg bake is done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, a tiny bit of moisture on the knife is ok, but not uncooked egg.
- Top pieces with hot sauce as desired.
- OR top piece with medium salsa as desired.
Pretty FoodI think food can be pretty. Maybe that's odd but I think it is true. It doesn't have to be pretty to be tasty, but pretty and tasty is the best. I guess maybe that is weird, but I think of food as art. Art is pretty so food can be pretty too! I hope you enjoy this yummy recipe! It tastes awesome as a leftover too.
Consent to join Julie Hoag Writer