I love potato salad. Picnics and grill-outs mean potato salad in my mind. My twist on potato salad is a fun way to have this summer classic side dish. I created a new recipe for Rutabaga Potato Salad that is so yummy. This salad will compliment any summer picnic or potluck. I love this salad also because it adds a bit of orange color to the traditional potato salad while the celery adds a bit of crunch. The hard-boiled eggs in this salad add in some extra protein. I love trying new salad recipes especially when it’s a twist on a classic side dish like potato salad.
This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclaimer link in top menu bar.
Rutabagas are a root vegetable high in fiber, calcium, iron, potassium, and vitamin C. This vegetable is low in calories and tasty with potatoes. Rutabagas are often used in stews and casseroles or it can be mashed. This vegetable is not used as commonly today as it was in the past.
I grew up eating rutabaga in pasty. My mom made a pasty dish that was so good with rutabaga as one of the ingredients. I don’t have her exact recipe, so I made an attempt at her recipe off of my memory. It turned out so flavorful and super good. My recipe creation is a hybrid recipe for meat-eaters and vegetarians called Mom’s Classic Meat Pasty and My Veggie Pasty. This recipe can be found at:
The Nine Ingredients
The ingredients for this recipe include the following ingredients.
- diced steamed potatoes
- diced steamed rutabaga
- chopped raw celery
- chopped raw onion
- olive oil mayo
- sour cream
- spicy brown mustard
- hard-boiled eggs
Make this salad and store it in the refrigerator for several days. It remains fresh and tasty for several days of enjoyment if stored in the refrigerator. I recommend eating it with grilled or cooked pork, beef, or chicken entrees or as a great meal addition. I love it as an addition to my vegetarian meals. Any way to add in extra vegetables to a diet is a bonus!
This is an original recipe by Julie Hoag copyright 6/14/2017.
Rutabaga Potato Salad
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups diced rutabaga
- 1/2 cup diced celery chop into small pieces
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 hard boiled eggs chopped into small pieces
- Steam 4 cups diced potatoes and 2 cups diced rutabaga until tender, about forty minutes.
- Dice 1/2 cup celery and 1/2 cup onion.
- Combine 1/3 cup olive oil mayo, 2 Tablespoons sour cream, 1 Tablespoon spicy brown mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs in a bowl and stir.
- Add cooked potatoes and rutabaga, plus celery and onion together in a bowl and stir.
- Add mayo, sour cream, mustard, salt, and egg mixture to vegetables and stir well to coat. Place salad in the refrigerator to cool. Store in the refrigerator to until ready to serve.