Do your kids love gummy worms candy? Mine sure do! I created a Fun Yummy Gummy Worms Jello Recipe that my boys claim tastes just like gummy worms (I have to agree). They just love it! This recipe could be made for a snack or as a side dish as part of a meal.
I like this recipe because it’s super easy to make, however you do need several hours to make it because it sits in the freezer for about an hour per layer. Even though it takes a long time, I don’t mind making it because it only takes a handful of minutes at the top of each hour.
This recipe is attractive with bright beautiful colors. They are actually quite beautiful when the light goes through them.
This website contains affiliate links. If you were to purchase through the links, I would recieve a commission at no added cost to you. These links help me run my site. Please see my disclaimer in the top menu bar.
The ingredients list is so simple because it’s only water and Jello™ in the 6 oz. boxes. I used the following five flavors: lemon, lime, orange, cherry, and grape. Any red Jello™ could be used for the red layer depending on your desired flavor. Other colors could be used also such as blue or light red. I was only able to find smaller 3 oz. packages for the lemon and grape at the store so I bought two of each. The other flavors I found in the larger 6 oz. packages.
How To Make It
When you make this, be sure to have a large block of time to do it like about 5 -5 1/2 hours. The step required about once an hour takes only minutes and then the Jello™ is placed in the freezer for about an hour to freeze before the next layer is added. I used the Jello Jigglers™ recipe off the box using 1 1/4 cups boiling water to 6 oz. of Jello™. This is half the recipe on the box as the one on the box is for 12 oz. packages.
Cut the Gummy Worms Jello in bars or strips to emulate gummy worms. My boys loved to eat them either way, but the strips were more like true gummy worms so more fun!
The pieces on the edge of the pan sometimes have some separation occur between the layers of Jello™ so be especially gentle with the edge pieces. If the layers do slide off, kids really don’t mind, they gobble them up regardless!
I cut the bars or strips with a sharp knife and scoop them out with a spatula to keep them intact. The pieces not on the edge stay together the best. It can be picked up and eaten with your hands.
Feel free to mix and match colors or change the order of the colors, have fun with it! Kids just love this recipe and beg for more. Help yourself out by setting a timer for each layer.
This is an original recipe by Julie Hoag. (using the recipe for Jello Jigglers™)
Related Post: check out my other Jello™ recipe
Fun Yummy Gummy Worms Jello Recipe
- 6 ounces lemon jello
- 6 ounces lime jello
- 6 ounces orange jello
- 6 ounces cherry jello or any red color
- 6 ounces grape jello
- 6 1/4 cups water divided
- Spray a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray. Boil 1 1/4 cups water and mix with 6 ounces yellow lemon jello in a bowl. Stir well and pour jello into the pan. Set pan on a flat surface in the freezer for about an hour. I have left it in the freezer for even an hour and fifteen minutes and it was fine so the timing is a bit flexible.
- After about an hour, pull the pan out of the freezer. Boil 1 1/4 cups water and add to a bowl containing 6 ounces lime jello. Stir well. Let it sit in the fridge to cool slightly for 5 mintues. Pour green lime jello over yellow lemon jello layer. Place pan on a flat shelf in the freezer for about an hour.
- After about an hour, pull the pan from the freezer and repeat the steps. Boil 1 1/4 cups water and mix with 6 ounces orange jello. Stir well. Set bowl in fridge for about 5 minutes. Pour orange jello over green layer. Set pan in the freezer on a flat shelf for about an hour.
- Remove pan from the freezer. Again boil 1 1/4 cups water and combine with 6 ounces red cherry jello in a bowl. Stir well. Set bowl in the fridge for about 5 mintues, then pour the red jello over the orange jello layer. This is my favorite picture because its so pretty! Set pan on a flat shelf in the freezer for about an hour.
- Take the pan out of the freezer. Boil 1 1/4 cups water and combine with 6 ounces grape jello in a bowl. Stir well. Set bowl in the fridge for 5 minutes. Pour grape jello over red jello layer. Set pan in freezer on a flat shelf for about an hour.
- Now it is done. Cut jello into square bars or strips to be more like gummy worms. Store it in the refrigerator.