I partnered with JSL Foods for this post by participating in their Fortune Asian Noodle Blogger Recipe Challenge contest. My job was to come up with a recipe for noodle soup using Udon Noodles. I came up with a yummy recipe that works for hybrid families such as my own composed of vegetarians and meat-eaters. My recipe for Hybrid Vegetarian and Chicken Mushroom Noodle Soup, One Recipe Two Crockpots is so good! It is one recipe that works for two different diets.
This post was sponsored by JSL Foods but all opinions are 100% my own. My website contains affiliate links. Please see my disclaimer in the top bar menu for more details. Thank you:)
I received free products from the Fortune Noodle Team to make this recipe. I used the original flavor and the mushroom flavor Udon Noodles for this recipe. These noodles are wonderful because they come already cooked so after a short boil (or microwave time) they are ready which makes for a convenient way to make meals for busy families. Plus I love that the noodles are natural, ALA Omega-3 fortified, GMO-free, and contain no MSG.
Other Reasons I Love these Noodles
I like these noodles because they can be used for a quick meal when we need to head off to an evening filled with kids sports activities. It is quick to simply add these noodles to a soup or top them with a stir fry combo.
The other reason I like these noodles is because I can customize the meal to be either vegetarian or meat containing by adding only stir-fried vegetables or meat and vegetables. Since these noodles are easy to prepare, I easily and quickly can prepare the noodles and make a vegetarian or meat-containing meal with very little effort. This makes them a great hybrid meal component.
What is a hybrid meal? It’s a term I use for the cooking I do for my own family where I strive to cook meals that work for both a vegetarian diet and a meat-eater diet. I like to figure out meals that work for both diets as often as I can so I’m not a short order cook. If I plan correctly from the beginning, I can easily make most recipes work for the vegetarian diet and the meat diet.
Ingredients for Hybrid Vegetarian and Chicken Mushroom Noodle Soup One Recipe Two Crockpots
The way I make this recipe work for two diets is I use two crockpots. I prepare the vegetables together and then split them between two crockpots so I can keep the meat portion separate from the vegetarian portion. It’s not hard, I just have to be more mindful in the preparation of the soup to make it work. I am used to doing this as I have cooked this way for years for my own family. I’m not a chef, but I’m trained by life and years of cooking for my own family.
This recipe is not a quick recipe however as it is made in the crockpot. That being said, I find crockpot meals work great for my family because once the prep is done initially it becomes an easy meal to quickly serve after the cooking time.
Ingredients for the Noodle Soup:
- 1 pack Udon noodles mushroom flavor
- 1 pack Udon noodles original flavor (you could use the same flavor for both soups if you prefer)
- garden vegetable broth
- baby bella mushrooms
- thyme leaves
- ground marjoram
- celery seed
- chicken tenderloins
- soy sauce
- frozen gold and white corn
I LOVE the parsnips and corn in this soup because these veggies give the soup a slightly sweet flavor which is delicious! I love all the healthy veggies and lentils in this soup as well.
The prep is all done hours before the dinner rush which is one reason I love crockpot meals for my family.
Other Hybrid Recipes: Hybrid Vegetarian/Meat Jambalaya
A BIG thank you to the Fortune Noodle Team and JSL Foods for inviting me to participate in their Blogger Recipe Challenge! I had fun developing a recipe using Udon noodles:) To connect with JSL Foods and Chef Yaki and to learn more about their great products, click on their links below.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Looking for more Vegetarian & Hybrid meals?
My ecookbook is LIVE on Amazon! I’m so excited!!! Right now only the Kindle version is available, but the print copy is coming soon to Amazon:)
Hybrid Vegetarian and Chicken Mushroom Noodle Soup One Recipe Two Crockpots
- 1 noodle pack, original flavor Udon, for chicken soup
- 1 noodle pack, mushroom flavor Udon, for vegetarian soup
- 3 Tablespoon butter divided: 2 Tbsp. and 1 Tbsp.
- 64 ounces garden vegetable broth divided: 32 oz. per crockpot
- 3/4 cup parsnips cut up
- 4 cups mushrooms, baby bella sliced and coarsely chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cup lentils, dry Sprouted green lentils, cook lentils according to package instructions and drain. Should have 3 cups cooked lentils, divided: 2 cups to vegetarian soup, 1 cup to chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves divided: 1/2 tsp. per crockpot
- 1 teaspoon marjoram, ground divided: 1/2 tsp. per crockpot
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed divided: 1/4 tsp. per crockpot
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce divided: 1 tsp. per crockpot
- 2 cups corn, gold and white frozen. divided: 1 cup per crockpot
- Cut up and cook parnsips, onion, celery, and mushrooms in 2 Tablespoons butter until soft (add mushrooms in at the end of the cooking time). Remove from pan.
- Add 1 Tbsp. of butter to pan and cook chicken. Cut up cooked chicken.
- Cook Udon Noodles according to package instructions adding in the soup base packet also. Do not drain. Add the Mushroom flavored noodle soup to the designated Vegetarian crockpot and the Original flavored noodle soup to the chicken designated crockpot.
- Cook frozen corn according to package instructions. Split cooked corn in half adding 1 cup to each crockpot.
- Add 32 ounces of garden vegetable broth to each crockpot.
- Add cut up cooked chicken to chicken soup crockpot.
- Add 2 cups cooked lentils to vegetarian soup and 1 cup lentils to chicken soup.
- Split cooked vegetables between the 2 crockpots.
- Add spices: 1/2 tsp. thyme leaves, 1/2 tsp ground marjoram, 1/4 tsp. celery seed to each crockpot.
- Add 1 tsp. soy sauce to each crockpot.
- Simmer in crockpots on high for 3 1/2 hours prior to serving.