I adore this breakfast or brunch recipe to make Spicy Comfort Food Baked Hash Brown Casserole dish because it is so delicious! I also love this hash brown egg bake because it is simple to make and it tastes like the classic cheesy potato dish, but with a spicy twist. This easy shredded hash brown casserole is mixed with jalapeños, tomatoes, green chilis, eggs, onion, and two cheeses and sausage (on half). The easy-meal-prep dish creates a mixture meal for a hybrid diet family looking to feed both vegetarians and meat-lovers from one recipe (can easily be made meatless or all meat though).
This website contains affiliate links. If you purchase through a link, I recieve a small advertising fee at no added cost to you. Please see my disclaimer. Thank you for visiting my site:)
Please scroll down to easily print this yummy recipe.
It’s really good! You’ve got to try this recipe:)
Make it With Meat or Without, or a Combo of Both as Hybrid Dish
This recipe is versatile, but I like to make it as a fusion recipe or hybrid dish to please both vegetarains and meat-lovers. However, it could easily be made all vegetarian or all meat containing by either omitting the meat or doubling the meat, respectively. My family is a hybrid mix or split table family where some members want meatless and some want meat.
It’s super easy to cook this way; it’s just a matter of being mindful about meal prep. Simply add the meat last to half of the pan. I just add meat where I want based on individual family preferences. This way I reduce being a short-order cook and just make one meal for my whole family. Cooking for a split table is not that hard, you just have to plan ahead during meal prep. Think about how you can keep the meat portion separate from the meatless portion. For more tips on this, read my post about cooking for a split table.
Are you hungry yet? Cause I sure am!
Ingredients for Spicy Comfort Food Baked Hash Brown Casserole
This recipe is so easy to make. Whether you like to call it an egg bake or a casserole, the concept is the same. All the ingredients are mixed together, placed in a pan, and then popped into the oven.
I love this type of recipe because the work is all up front for the meal prep, and once the intial prep is done, the work for the meal is done! I can go back to work or doing stuff around the house while it cooks. Easy peasy!
The 12 ingredients for this super easy casserole include the following ingredients:
- shredded potatoes, either boiled and shredded potatoes or frozen hash browns (I make it easy and use frozen)
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese (make it easy, buy it already shredded;)
- can of diced tomatoes and green chilies, mild (I love to use Rotel®)
- crumbled Queso Fresco cheese
- jalapeños, hot (canned)
- diced onion
- ground thyme
- coconut oil (to grease the pan)
- mild Italian sausage (if meat is desired)
This spicy comfort food dish is packed with hash browns. Potatoes are carbs, however, they also contain fiber and vitamins. I think potatoes often get a bad rap for being a carbohydrate, but they really are healthy when eaten as part of a balanced diet.
I love potatoes! Don’t you?
The kitchen supplies needed include the standard measuring cups, measuring spoons, two bowls, large spoon for stirring, and a 9×13″ glass baking dish.
Cook this dish at 400° for 1 hour, uncovered.
When to Make Spicy Comfort Food Baked Hash Brown Casserole
I love this casserole dish for breakfast or brunch, but it makes a great lunch or dinner as well. It’s a very tasty leftover, so when I make it and we have leftovers, I’m happy. I eat it for lunch or dinner. Being a busy mom of three boys, I love leftovers. I didn’t love leftovers before having kids, but I sure do love them now being as busy as we are all the time.
This would be a great egg bake to make for a holiday meal or when having houseguests in your home. Make an easy dish so you have time to visit with your guests rather than spending all your time in meal prep. Your family and guests will love this meal and you can make it in a flash!
Want more easy ideas for hybrid or vegetarian egg breakast quiches or casseroles? Try these:
Or, check out my cookbook with cooking tips and recipes for cooking in a hybrid way to feed a split table family of vegetarians and meat-eaters; plus it delivers vegetarian recipes, side dishes & salads, appetizers, breakfast/brunch, lunch, and dinner. Plus, a few desserts with a healthy touch added in;) All easy recipes with easy to find ingredients. Affliliate link.
Looking to reduce carbs but love potatoes? Check out my recipe for Low Carb Au Gratin Potatoes with Rutabagas.
I hope you enjoy this spicy comfort food baked hash brown casserole recipe! It’s so good, it’s one of my faves. No need for any hot sauce here, the dish has enough kick on it’s own. Spicy eggs rock!
Copyright ©2018 Julie Hoag. All rights Reserved.
Spicy Comfort Food Baked Hash Brown Casserole
- 24 ounces potatoes, shredded boiled and shredded or thawed frozen hash browns
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, sharp shredded
- 10 ounces tomatoes, green chilies can of Rotel, mild
- 2/3 cup Queso Fresco cheese crumbled
- 4 ounces jalapenos canned, hot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk skim
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups sausage, ground mild Italian browned
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- Prepare potatoes by boiling and shredding (cooled) or use thawed frozen hash browns, 24 oz. bag. Thaw for about 45 minutes to an hour. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brown sausage and set aside.
- Stir the following ingredients together in a large bowl: 24 oz. shredded potatoes or hash browns, 2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 10 oz. can of tomatoes and green chilis (undrained), 2/3 c. crumbled Queso Fresco cheese, 4 oz. can of jalapenos (hot), 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 c. diced onion.
- Grease a 9x13" glass baking dish with 1 tsp. coconut oil. Place potato/cheese/vegetable mixture into the pan. Pat mixture flat with the back of a spoon.
- Whisk togther 6 eggs, 1 c. skim milk, 1/4 tsp. ground thyme. Pour evening over potato mixture.
- Add 1 1/2 c. browned ground Italian sausage to half the pan as desired. Omit for meatless dish or double this amount for all meat. Slightly stir meat into dish.
- Cook at 400 degrees for one hour. Let cool for about 10 minutes. Cut and serve.
Consent to join Julie Hoag Writer