Do you love sub sandwiches? In this post, I’m sharing Italian Sandwich Spread Recipes for Vegans and Vegetarians perfect for spring and summer backyard entertaining. I love this recipe so much! I hope you try it out. It’s so good for vegan sandwich fillings and vegetarian sandwiches ideas. This sandwich spread is dairy-free too. It would be perfect for a build-your-own-sub party this summer. I always make my subs vegetarian, but that is the beauty of sub sandwiches, people can add whatever they want to customize it to their own tastes.
This post contains affiliate links. Purchases made through the links earn an advertising fee at no added cost to you. Please see my disclaimer. I partnered with ThermaLeaf® for this post.
The protein-packed sandwich spread itself is vegan. Lacto Ovo vegetarians can add cheese slices as desired, of course. Meat-lovers can easily add slices of meat, cheese, or pepperoni. I can’t leave the meat-eaters out as I have meat-lovers in my family;) This is a versatile lunch option or dinner that works across different diets for a split table meal.
Sandwich Spread Recipes make great picnic lunches as well. Make your sandwiches ahead of time at home to make the the food prep at the picnic easier.
I love this spread on crackers or pita crisps as well. It is a perfect and tasty appetizer to set out for parties.
Scroll down to easily print these sandwich spread recipes.
Backyard Entertaining And Sub Sandwich Bar
We love entertaining in our backyard. We have a swimming pool and an outdoor kitchen (that my husband built all on his own). We often will grill while entertaining guests, however, sometimes we want something more low maintenance for the meal while hosting a party. In this case, we might opt to do build-your-own sub sandwiches. I love doing this type of set up for a party because people can make their own subs how they want them. Everyone gets to customize! Vegans, vegearians, and meat-eaters can all be happy!
I set out many different types of vegetables in a sub sandwich bar including:
- spinach leaves
- butter lettuce or romaine
- cucumber slices
- tomato slices
- onion slices
- banana peppers
- pickle slices
- green, red, or yellow pepper slices
- add in any of your favorite vegetables:)
I also set out:
- sunflower seeds
- Italian Vegan Sandwich Spread (see below for the Italian Sandwich Spread Recipes)
- salt and pepper
- ranch dressing
- meat slices for any meat-lovers
- cheese slices for meat-lovers and vegetarians
For the bread I set out hoagies or sub sandwich bread, but any of these would work too:
- sliced Italian bread
Sandwich Spread Recipes are great as cracker spreads too. Try this Italian Sandwich Spread Recipe below on crackers with veggie toppers for totally amazing flavor!
Gather Up Your Ingredients for the Vegan and Vegetarian Sandwich Spread Recipes
For these Italian sandwich spread recipes you will need the following nine ingredients:
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lemon for fresh lemon juice (about 2 1/2 Tbsp.)
- 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 3/4 oz. pine nuts
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. garlic salt with parsely
- 1 tsp. onion powder
These ingredients are all blended together until smooth using an immersion handheld blender. Refrigerate this vegan spread after preparing and return any leftovers to the fridge for longer storage.
Enjoy your sandwich with a side of Italian mix pickled vegetables. Yum!
Adding Elements of Beauty to My Backyard to Enhance Backyard Entertaining
I love ehancing our backyard atmosphere to create a beautiful cozy space. Added in extras add beauty thereby creating a decadent ambiance for entertaining that just makes everyone feel good. In our backyard, I attached ivy vines to the pergola my husband built as a part of our outdoor kitchen. I simply stapled the fire retardant foilage to the wood of the pergola to create a gorgeous draping affect. I used a heavy duty stapler to attach the vines to the wood. The ivy garland on the pergola was provided by ThermaLeaf®.
We like to make it an amazing evening by lighting a bonfire as well, unless the heat is sweltering, then we don’t light a fire. Relaxing at home is the best!
To learn more about ThermaLeaf®, visit at http://www.thermaleaf.com/
Summer Evenings by the Pool
Summer nights by the pool are a slice of heaven. Whether we are entertaining guests or hanging out as a family, good food is an absolute must! Sunny afternoons are awesome too. I’m super excited for warmer weather!
Love these chairs we set out by our pool. They add a pop of color and provide great seating for adults and kids alike. I love how lightweight the chairs are and the little side cooler is awesome too.
Looking for more backyard entertaining food ideas? Check out the recipe for Jalapeno Chia and Pumpkin Seed Cheese Ball and 5 Simple Ways to Serve Appetizers with Spinach Dip and Baked Zingy Mustard Triscuits.
I you enjoy this recipe! If you enjoyed this post, I’d love it if you shared it with others on social media.
Eat well and enjoy life!
Copyright ©2018 Julie Hoag. All Rights Reserved. Photos by Julie Hoag.
Italian Sandwich Spread Recipes for Vegans and Vegetarians
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans drained
- 1 avocado ripe
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons lemon juice, fresh from about 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves, dried
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves, dried
- 1 3/4 ounces pine nuts
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt with parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Add 15 oz. drained garbanzo beans (chickpeas) to a bowl. Add in 1 ripe avocado, juice from 1 lemon (about 2 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice), 1 tsp. dried basil leaves, 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves, 1 3/4 oz. pine nuts, 6 oz. tomato paste, 1 tsp. garlic salt with parsley, 1 tsp. onion powder. Blend with an immersion handheld blender until smooth.
- To create a sub sandwich bar, here are some optional toppings: spinach leaves, butter lettuce, romaine lettuce, red leaf or green leaf lettuce, cucumber slices, olives, pickles, banana peppers, pepper slices, onions, tomato slices, sprouts, vegan cheese, dairy cheese slices, meat or pepperoni slices for meat-lovers.