Spicy loaded potatoes bites that are satisfying and delicious! This tasty appetizer is a meat-and-potatoes meal inspired recipe, but it can be eaten as finger food. However, I make this recipe as a hybrid recipe, meaning some of the potato slices have sausage and some are vegetarian so I can feed my split table family. My family is composed of vegetarians and meat-eaters, so I often make recipes that work for both diets. This is an easy-to-make Topped Potato Slices appetizer recipe, made with spicy cheese and sweet corn.
This website contains affiliate links. Please see disclaimer in the top bar menu or sidebar menu. Thank you!
This is a comfort food appetizer…it’s so amazingly delish!
Appetizers for dinner! It’s a fun tradition we do in my family and it’s sort of like we eat in courses, but it’s apps instead because I spread the appetizers out over time. We have a little bit, then hang out for a while, then have another two, three, or even four appetizers before we are done. It’s a fun way to watch a football game, especially the Super Bowl.
We love appetizer night at my house. Or, appetizer afternoon if my boys are watching a football game. Try it out for your own family…a whole meal of appetizers spread out over a few hours, so much fun!
I’m a fanatic about potatoes. I love potatoes any way; I haven’t ever had a potato I didn’t like. Potatoes are so versatile and can be a side dish, the main entree as in a loaded baked potato, part of a breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner or a snack food (hello potato chips!). They are all good and I can’t get enough. They are a carb, yes it’s true, but they get a bad rap; they also contain fiber and vitamins and minerals, so they aren’t deserving of all that bad high carb rep all the time. Give yourself a little grace and enjoy some celebration of your love of potatoes today;)
Ingredients for these Spicy Potato Slices Appetizer
Pile on the toppings, in the case of this recipe, three kinds of cheeses, corn with peppers, salsa, and jalapeños stack up to make these delicious potato bites. Add sausage for the meat-lover at your home.
The 11 ingredients include:
- 1/4 c. mild salsa (or medium or hot if you like it extra spicy)
Pace Mild Thick & Chunky Salsa, 24 oz
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
McCormick Chili Powder, 4.5 oz
- 2/3 c. crumbled Queso fresco cheese
Cacique Ranchero Queso Fresco 35 Oz (2 Pack)
- 1/2 c. canned sweet corn with red and green peppers (drained)
Green Giant Sweet Corn With Peppers 198 G (Pack of 12)
- 1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
KRAFT CHEESE MILD CHEDDAR SHREDDED 8 OZ PACK OF 3
- 2 T. whipped plain cream cheese
Philadelphia, Cream Cheese, Whipped, 8 oz
- 1 tsp. sweetened lime juice
Rose’s Sweetened Lime Juice, 1 Liter (33.8 Fluid Ounces) Plastic Bottle (Pack of 2)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped pickled jalapeños
MT. OLIVE Jalapeno Slices Jar, Fresh Pack, 12 oz
- 3 medium-sized potatoes
POTATOES RUSSET FRESH PRODUCE 5 LBS
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 16 Ounce
- 2/3 c. browned ground sausage (optional)
JIMMY DEAN PORK SAUSAGE PREMIUM ROLL ORIGINAL 16 OZ PACK OF 3
To easily print these directions, please scroll down to the section with the printer icon.
Preheat oven to 400°.
Slice potatoes (skin on) into 1/4 inch thick slices. Add the potato slices to a large bowl and pour 1 Tbsp. olive oil over them. Stir well to coat the slices on both sides with oil.
Combine 1/4 c. salsa, 1/4 tsp. chili powder, 2/3 c. crumbled Queso Fresco cheese, 1/2 c. canned sweet corn with red and green peppers, 1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese, 2 T. whipped cream cheese, 1 tsp. sweetened lime juice, and 2 Tbsp. chopped pickled jalapeños. Mash and stir well. If making meat appetizers, remove about 1/2 c. of this vegetable-cheese mixture and add it to a bowl with the cooked sausage crumbles and stir well.
Lay potato slices in a single layer across a cookie sheet. Cook for 15 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven. Top the potato slices with about 1/2 Tbsp. of the vegetable-cheese mixture. I keep the vegetarian potato slices on one side of the pan, and the meat containing ones on the other. Cook for another 27-28 minutes until the bottoms of the potato slices are golden and the cheese is crispy and slightly browned. Serve immediately.
These little potato slices appetizers are yummy as a leftover too. I enjoy them leftover cold right from the fridge, or warmed in the microwave. So yummy!
When to Serve These Spicy Potato Slices Appetizer
These yummy potato bites would be delicious at a holiday party like Christmas or New Year’s Eve, or at a football party. They would be ideal to serve at a Super Bowl party. These tasty loaded potato bites will satisfy the desire for meat and potatoes, packing a hearty punch to anyone’s hunger.
The potato slices would work great as a side dish for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner as well.
Hybrid Appetizer to Feed Several Types of Diets
Party guests or members of your family might need, or want, different types of diets whether they are vegetarian, meat-loving, or are just cutting out meat for health reasons. I am happy when I can make a recipe that caters to people with multiple variations in their diets.
I love that it is easy to make both meatless and meat-containing appetizers available with this recipe because it makes it perfect for feeding my split table family, and houseguests too. Try it with vegan cheeses also for the vegan in your life.
You might wonder…what do I really mean by split table family? As I mentioned above, my family is a hybrid diet family made up of both vegetarian members and family members who want meat. Cooking for more than one diet in a family is definitely a challenge, but it is possible to cook for multiple diets without making totally separate meals. I have tips for you if this also describes your family:) Read these cooking hacks for a split table family here.
Interested in more of these types of hybrid recipes? Check out recipes below, and also see the sidebar for the link to my cookbook–read the cookbook reviews by clicking here.
Other hybrid recipes:
Hybrid Recipe Rutabaga Vegetarian Plus Ham Lasagna Rolls
Hybrid Recipe for Lasagna made with parsnips
Hybrid Recipe Potato Dumpling Soup for Vegetarians and Meat-lovers: 2 crockpot recipe
Hybrid recipe to make meatless chili and meat chili from one recipe, reduce being a short order cook for your split table family
Tomato Basil Hybrid Vegetarian & Ham Croissant Crust Quiche
Hybrid English Muffin Bread Tofu and Ham Quiche
Thanks for stopping by:) I hope you enjoy these recipes and it helps you out with cooking hacks for making food for people of different diets. It’s not hard to do, it just takes planning ahead and being prepared to split the recipe to make it work for both types of diets.
Eat well and enjoy life!
Copyright © 2019 Julie Hoag writer. All Rights Reserved.
Potato Slices Topped with Spicy Cheese and Sweet Corn Appetizer Recipe
- 1/4 cup salsa mild, medium, or hot
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2/3 cup Queso Fresco cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup canned corn with red and green bell peppers drained
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons cream cheese, whipped original plain
- 1 teaspoon sweetened lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons jalapeno peppers pickled, diced
- 3 potatoes medium-sized and sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup sausage, optional ground sausage, browned
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice potatoes into 1/4 inch slices leaving the skin on. Add potato slices to a large bowl and sprinkle in 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Stir well to coat the potato slices on both sides with oil. Lay potatoes in a single layer across a cookie sheet and cook for 15 minutes.
- Combine 1/4 c. salsa, 1/4 tsp. chili powder, 2/3 c. crumbled Queso Fresco cheese, 1/2 c. canned sweet corn with red and green peppers (drained), 1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese, 2 T. whipped cream cheese, 1 tsp. sweetened lime juice, and 2 Tbsp. chopped pickled jalapeno peppers.
- To make both meat and meatless appetizers, remove about 1/2 c. (vary as desired) of the cheese-vegetable mixture and mix it with 2/3 c. of the browned ground sausage. Stir well.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven after fifteen minutes. Add about 1/2 Tbsp. of the vegetarian vegetable-cheese mixture to the tops of about half of the potato slices and about 1/2 Tbsp. of the meat-vegetable-cheese mixture to the other half.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook for about another 27-28 minutes until the bottoms of the potatoes are golden brown and the cheese topping is crispy and slightly golden. Watch to prevent burning. Serve immediately.
Tiffany Montgomery says
Oh yum! This does look like a big plate of comfort. THanks for the recipe!
Julie Hoag says
It is super yummy! Thanks, hope you love it!
What a delicious and comforting appetizer. YUM!
Julie Hoag says
Yes, delicious and comforting for sure! We love it, hope you do too:) Thanks!
they look so tasty and have so many of the ingredients that i crave so much right now.
Julie Hoag says
Yes, a great combo! Meat and potatoes or do some meatless and some meat as I do:) Super yummy comfort food. I hope you love it! Thanks:)
Anything potatoes I love! Especially if they’re baked. I’d probably do away with the spicy because I’m not a big fan but otherwise this would make a fantastic appetizer. I’d probably eat a ton though resulting in an actual meal!
Julie Hoag says
Thank you! I totally agree! Potatoes are awesome, especially when baked. You could certainly could leave the spicy ingredients out and sub in something else like green pepper, or red pepper, or add in more corn. I hope you enjoy it! 🙂