This Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Cake is utterly yummy, so delicious. You will love how scrumptious it is and how simple it is to make. This dessert is a giant hit at my house. I am excited to share this recipe with you! It’s also a very pretty little ice cream cake.
This website uses affiliate links. Please see the disclaimer in the top bar menu or sidebar. Thank you:)
I use a bundt cake pan to make this strawberry shortcake ice cream cake, but I think any pan would work. I’d like to try it with a rectangular pan next time I make it so I can cut it as ice cream cake bars. This ice cream dessert would work great for Easter because of its light pink color. It would also be great for other holidays or a birthday party. I find making it when strawberries are ripe for picking in June in Minnesota to be an ideal time to prepare this yummy cake. However, grocery store strawberries work great too, so it can be enjoyed any time of year.
Strawberry shortcake is a great American classic dessert, a real favorite at our house. It was my inspiration to create this yummy treat. This really tastes like strawberry shortcake and I love how the angel food chunks keep their texture within the ice cream cake. So dang delish! The chocolate from the ice cream sandwiches adds a yummy flavor too.
This is so good! You will love it!
Try it with different flavored ice cream sandwiches to mix it up:)
The Five Ingredients to Make this Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Cake
I’ve made this recipe with both regular ice cream sandwiches, and with no sugar added ice cream sandwiches and it has been very delicious either way. The nice part about using the no sugar added ice cream sandwiches is that it obviously has less sugar and fewer calories, but it still tastes just as amazing.
Scroll down to easily print this recipe. Look for the little printer icon.
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 1/4 c. pureed fresh strawberries (about 8 very large strawberries)
- 1 angel food loaf cake, cubed (I purchased a prepared one from a bakery, but you can certainly make your own)
- 8 ice cream sandwiches, cubed
- 2 c. vanilla ice cream, melted in the microwave
That’s it! Only five ingredients are needed, plus a bundt pan (or fluted tube pan), a food processor, and a freezer space large enough to fit a bundt pan.
Rub a bundt cake pan with 2 tsp. coconut oil. I use a napkin to spread it all across the pan, be sure to get into the fluted grooves too. This will help it slide out.
Cut the ice cream sandwiches into about 1/2″ x 1/2″ cubes, separate cubes into two halves, a bowl for each half. Cut the angel food cake loaf into cubes about 1″ x 1″ or so.
Lay the cubes from four ice cream sandwiches around the bottom of the bundt pan. Next, layer all the angel food cake cubes around the bundt pan evenly. Add the remaining cubes of ice cream sandwiches (cubes from the other 4 sandwiches). Melt 2 c. of vanilla ice cream in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl.
Puree enough fresh strawberries in a food processor to make 1 1/4 c. puree. Stir the strawberry puree into the melted vanilla ice cream. Pour the strawberry ice cream mixture evenly over the top. Flatten the top with a large spoon to squish it down slightly.
Freeze until frozen, or overnight.
Let it sit out for at least an hour before trying to slide out of the pan. I also run a knife along all edges and center too to get it to slide out. Dump it upside down over a plate or serving platter. Shake slightly to loosen.
Remove and cut into slices with a sharp knife to serve. It may need to sit out for a few minutes to allow for easier cutting for when consuming leftovers. The leftovers should be stored in the freezer.
I hope you enjoy this yummy dessert! Thanks for visiting! Eat well and enjoy life!
Looking for more dessert recipes to try?
Copyright ©2019 Julie Hoag writer. All Rights Reserved.
Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Cake
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cup strawberry puree, from fresh
- 1 loaf angel food cake cubed
- 8 ice cream sandwiches cubed, either regular or no sugar added
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream melted in a microwave
- Coat a bundt pan or fluted tube pan with 2 tsp. coconut oil using a napkin, be sure to grease the grooves too.
- Puree fresh strawberries (about 8 large or so) using a food processor to make 1 1/4 c. strawberry puree.
- Cube 4 ice cream sandwiches into about 1/2" x 1/2" cubes and place cubes in a bowl. Cube another 4 ice cream sandwiches and add the cubes to a separate bowl. (8 total ice cream sandwiches)
- Cut the angel food cake loaf into cubes about 1" x 1".
- Begin layering, spreading each layer evenly around the pan. Place the cubes from 4 ice cream sandwiches along the bottom of the pan. Next, add the angel food cake cubes. Top with the remaining ice cream sandwich cubes.
- Melt 2 c. vanilla ice cream in the microwave. Stir in the strawberries.
- Pour the strawberries and ice cream mixture evenly over the pan. Press down flattening the ice cream cake with the back of a large spoon to squish it down slightly. Place the pan in the freezer, ensuring the pan sits flat, until frozen or overnight.
- Remove the cake pan from the freezer. Let it sit out for at least an hour before trying to slide out of the pan. I also run a knife along all edges and center too to get it to slide out. Dump it upside down over a plate or serving platter. Shake slightly to loosen. Slice and serve. Store leftovers in the freezer.
Consent to join Julie Hoag Writer