This is very easy to make easy sweet cream pancakes recipe. It’s so tasty with a rich yummy flavor. I took my buttermilk pancake recipe and converted it over to sweet cream and the results were amazing! They are so good! We did a taste test at my home, all five of us liked the sweet cream pancakes over the buttermilk. It’s a winner! This delightful recipe is perfect for breakfast or brunch, or even lunch for dinner. They are also great leftover, simply microwave them to warm them up. Try out my new recipe for pancakes with heavy cream today!
This website uses affiliate links. Please see the disclaimer page for more details.Print Recipe Jump to Recipe
When trying out a new recipe, I always wonder how it will go. Will my family like it better? Or will it not be as good. So it can be risky to try a new recipe when there is a clear favorite recipe. However, never trying new things is too confining and boxes the cook into a rather boring corner. I love to try out a new recipe, substitute new items in existing recipes, and try to find an even better recipe my family will love even more! That was the case with these sweet cream pancakes because they all like the recipe even better than previous recipes I made for them.
I just happened to have some leftover cream in the fridge from when I made homemade fettuccine alfredo sauce, so I thought, why not try the cream in the recipe. I was so pleasantly surprised! They were richer, sweeter, and better tasting than the slightly more sour buttermilk pancakes (though I do like the buttermilk pancakes too).
Make mornings at home sweet with easy-to-make homemade sweet cream pancakes!
Ingredients Needed for the Sweet Cream Pancakes
This recipe is quite easy to make and it uses common ingredients. I had to whip up a second batch of the batter to make more because my family devoured them and it was a very quick process. Then I was off and cooking up more hot cakes!
What you will need:
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 c. flour
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 c. heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 c. skim milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Instructions for Making the Sweet Cream Pancakes
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. I cook the pancakes over 3.5 level heat on my electric stovetop, so probably like medium low. Spread oil to coat the pan surface.
- Combine all dry ingredients: 1 1/4 c. flour, 1 tsp. sugar, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. salt. Stir.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, 1 1/4 c. heavy whipping cream, 3/4 c. skim milk, and 2 tablespoons shortening. Blend them all together until thickens with a hand mixer. Don’t over mix but mix it until you see it is getting thicker.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir.
- Pour pancake batter in small circles onto hot frying pan. Flip pancakes when they start to bubble and before they burn. Serve immediately.
Using a hand mixer is important to blend the shortening into the wet ingredients, otherwise, it will remain in the batter as little chunks. I blend the batter until it looks thoroughly mixed and until it is starting to thicken. I wouldn’t over blend it however since heavy whipping cream can become quite thick when whipped long enough to become whipped cream. You don’t need it to thicken to that level. I also find it helpful to use the shortening after it has been at room temperature so it isn’t too firm. When it’s firm from being in the fridge, it’s just harder to get it to blend nicely.
My family loved to top these pancakes with more whipped cream (I know right! Yup they wanted more!), strawberries, bananas, and maple syrup. They are even tasty with just maple syrup as well, however. The sky is the limit! Add whatever fruit you want, or jelly, or flavored syrups for a different flavor as well. Chocolate chips or other flavored chips like vanilla or butterscotch are also tasty on top of these pancakes. Chocolate syrup is a great idea too, as are sprinkles! According to my youngest son, sprinkles are good on almost everything! We’ll draw the line on that one though! Laugh out loud!
Butterscotch sauce would also be a yummy idea to top your pancakes with. Apple pie filling is also a very yummy topping idea, or any pie filling is so good. Crushed nuts are also a great idea for topping pancakes with as well. Nutella or chocolate hazelnut spread is a favorite topping choice as well. Dried fruits can be tasty as well.
Other Breakfast Recipes
Try out these other easy yummy breakfast recipes!
Sweet Cream Pancakes
- 1 frying pan
- 1 spatula
- 1 measuring cups
- 1 measuring spoons
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 spoon
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Combine all dry ingredients together: 1 1/4 c. flour, 1 tsp. sugar, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. baking soda. Stir.
- Combine all wet ingredients: 2 eggs, 1 1/4 c. heavy whipping cream, 3/4 c. skim milk, and 2 tablespoons shortening. Blend with a hand mixer until starts to become thicker.
- Stir together wet and dry ingredients.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to a frying pan. Heat it to about 3.5 level on an electric stovetop or around medium low heat. Add circles of batter once the pan is hot.Flip pancakes when they start to bubble so they can be cooked to golden on both sides.
- Top with toppings as desired such as fruit, maple syrup, whipped cream, nuts, chocolate syrup, chocolate chips, and whatever else is desired. Serve immediately.
I hope you enjoy this yummy simple recipe. I love the idea of feeding my family homemade meals without extra preservatives and additives whenever I can. Being a busy businesswoman and writer, it can be a challenge to also cook in this way for my family, so I love easy recipes like this that also taste amazing!
Check out my cookbook! I also just created the audiobook for it. All recipes are their own chapter so it’s easy to quickly get to each recipe. Enjoy listening to me narrate the recipe for you as you prepare the meal. Pause as needed and continue on as needed. It frees you up while you are cooking so you can just listen and not have to be constantly referring to a cookbook. As a bonus though, the audiobook contains a copy of the ebook for your convenience.
However, with that said, if you love cookbooks, I also have the book in paperback and in ebook form.One Dish Two Diets: Recipes for the Hybrid Vegetarian and Meat-Eating Family One Dish Two Diets: Recipes for the Hybrid Vegetarian and Meat-Eating Family
Consent to join Julie Hoag Writer