Have you ever been staring at leftovers from a meal and got inspired? This is odd, I know. However, it recently happened to me. My oldest son is eating less bread because he is doing weight-lifting and he is trying to eat in a very healthy way these days. This change is impacting what we have leftover after family meals. So, there I stood in my kitchen wondering what on Earth do I do with all this leftover garlic bread? I could just throw it away. No. I could try to get us to eat it all. That’s a big challenge. I could throw it away. No! Then I was struck with an idea. Why not add it to a quiche and make an Italian Garlic Bread Quiche Recipe! Brilliant! And so the recipe development began.
This website uses affiliate links. Please see the disclaimer page for more details.
This was truly the brainchild of … what the heck do I do with all this tasty bread? I didn’t want to waste it. I didn’t want to freeze it. What to do with it? I grabbed my recipe notebook and jotted down ideas.
It started as one version of the recipe, but I didn’t love it. I liked it but didn’t love it. There was something missing. I wanted more … of the juicy part. I decided it needed more tomatoes and more herbs, so it grew into more rounds of experimentation. Finally, I came to the recipe I really liked and this is it! I love the idea of an Italian quiche and quite honestly, I’ve never had one. It truly is delish and a meal I enjoy, and my family finds it yummy too. It’s a simple recipe and it uses prepared garlic bread so buy an extra loaf next time and make this quiche for your own family.
I made the recipe as my usual hybrid recipe format where I make the dish half with meat and a half without so I can feed my split table diet family of vegetarians and meat-eaters. This is a kid-friendly quiche! Even my pickier youngest child liked it so that’s a winner! Have a little Italian for your breakfast! Delizioso!
List of Ingredients for the Italian Garlic Bread Quiche Recipe
The ingredients needed for this recipe are simple and use common items that are easily found in the US (I hope wherever you are they are as well).
- 6 cups garlic bread cubed
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained, which is about 28 ounces
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 10 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (one that contains marjoram, oregano, thyme, rosemary, savory, basil, and sage)
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup pepperoni (or 1 cup ham chunks works too)
Instructions for Making this Italian Garlic Bread Quiche Recipe
This recipe is pretty quick to whip up. I am a busy mom, author, and business owner, so I like this type of recipe. You can make the garlic ahead of time or right before making the quiche, I’ve done it both ways and it works great either way. I’ve used Texas Toast garlic bread and other types of garlic bread as well. I’ve used frozen garlic bread and fresh garlic bread. Both work great!
- Beat the eggs with the milk in a large bowl.
- Add the black pepper and Italian seasonings to the egg and milk mixture. Blend them together with a hand blender to adequately mix.
- Place garlic bread cubes evenly in a 9×13 inch glass baking dish sprayed with olive oil cooking spray.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes in the dish.
- Spread the cans of diced tomatoes (undrained) evenly across the dish.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of diced onion across top.
- Sprinkle the cheeses evenly across the top of the dish.
- Press 1/2 cup pepperoni into one half of the quiche with your fingers. It can be sticking out of the top somewhat (or press cup ham chunks into one half of the dish).
- Cook quiche at 400 degrees for 50 minutes. Allow quiche to sit for about 10 minutes. Cut and serve.
Alternatives and Additions
Ideas for additions to this recipe: diced bell pepper, drizzle pizza sauce over the top, and add sliced mushrooms or pieces of zucchini. I think crushed red pepper or pizza seasonings would also make this recipe taste awesome! What ideas do you have? Please let me know! It may sound odd, but I have a hankering to try this recipe with sliced green olives and mushrooms. I imagine meat lovers might like this with ground beef or sausage too.
I’ve made this quiche using different brands of garlic bread. All versions have turned out yummy! The kind of bread can make the consistency a little different but I’ve always been happy with the taste.
Lunch is served!
I love this quiche for lunch or dinner. It just fits well at those times of day, not that breakfast doesn’t work, it does, it’s just more commonly fitting for lunch or dinner meal for some reason. Though, in saying that, I’ve had it for breakfast several times! So that means rules were meant to be broken.
By the way, for lunch, It works quite well as a warmed-up leftover meal too.
Italian Garlic Bread Quiche
- 6 cups garlic bread, cubed
- 1/2 cup pepperoni
- 28 ounces tomatoes, diced, 2 cans
- 1 1/l2 cup milk
- 10 eggs
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Beat eggs and milk together in a bowl with a hand blender or mixer.
- Add the 1/4 tsp black pepper and 2 tsp Italian seasoning. Blend to mix.
- Place 6 cups garlic bread cubes in a 9×13 inch glass baking dish sprayed with olive oil cooking spray.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread crumbs as evenly as possible.
- Spread 2 cans of undrained diced tomatoes over the bread evenly.
- Sprinkle 1/4 c diced onions across the top.
- Sprinkle cheeses evenly across the top.
- Press pepperoni into the top of one half of the quiche.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 50 minutes. Let it sit for 10. Cut and serve immediately.
Looking for more recipes:
Looking for more quiche recipes? I have several to share! I hope you enjoy these recipes!
I would love to hear how you like these recipes! If you’d like more of my recipes, I also have a cookbook that is available in ebook, paperback, and audiobook on Amazon (affiliate): https://amzn.to/3x7pMrS
Thank you for visiting my site and I hope you enjoy my recipes and my blog posts. I also have books available for sale on Amazon. Please sign up for my newsletter to hear about my updates, new recipes, and new books.
Copyright 2022 Julie A Hoag Julie Hoag Writer LLC. All Rights Reserved.Follow me on Social Media