This recipe is unique and delicious. I love this open faced sandwich recipe with egg white salad because it’s something different, plus, it’s refreshing. It’s so yummy and I adore it because it uses the whole egg, but in an uncommon way. This recipe is from my hybrid recipe cookbook.
This website uses affiliate links. Please see the disclaimer page in the menu for more details.
What is a Hybrid Recipe?
A hybrid recipe is one where the recipe is designed to feed people with different diets from the same recipe, from the same dish. My family is composed of meat-eaters and a vegetarian so I have developed multiple meals/recipes that work for both types of diets. To learn more, read my blog post about feeding a split table family at: How to Cook for a Split Table of Vegetarians and Meat Eaters and to learn more about my cookbook for this type of multiple diet family, click here: Hybrid Recipes One Dish Two Diets: The Cookbook Reviews This will help you out if your family is like mine.
When to eat this meal:
This meal is perfect for brunch, lunch, or dinner. I love how the recipe makes a complete meal in the form of an open faced sandwich recipe with a unique side salad made with egg whites, jalapenos, and pickles. This is a meatless meal perfect for both vegetarians and meat-eaters alike because of the protein and heartiness provided by the eggs, as well as the nutrients from the fruits and vegetables. This recipe will be a delight for your family or when having guests over.
This meal is a vegetarian meal, but add a slice of cheese to the open faced sandwich if you desire dairy and more protein added in. Alternatively, it’s also easy to add a slice or two of deli meat, pepperoni, or salami to the sandwich.
Save it for leftovers. The salad saves very well in the fridge as does the spread so don’t feel like you need to use it all up in the first round of enjoying it.
Ingredients Needed for this Open Faced Sandwich Recipe
Scroll down to easily print this recipe. Look for the little printer icon.
This is a pretty looking meal. Some meals just look appetizing, attractive, and even beautiful in their color and presentation, this recipe is one of those meals. It just looks good. And it tastes even better. The ingredients needed to make this dual dish meal include the following ingredients. First, we will start with the spread for the sandwich. You will need:
- egg yolks from 12 hard-boiled eggs (set egg whites aside for salad portion)
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into pieces
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 c. olive oil mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp crushed crispy jalapenos (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp taco seasoning
- 2-3 large fresh tomatoes, sliced into wedges
- 12 slices 12-grain bread
Egg white salad ingredients:
- egg whites from all 12 hard-boiled eggs, chopped into pieces
- 1 pint (about 2 cups) small sweet or grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced baby dill pickles
- 2 fresh jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 3 Tbsp chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup Miracle whip dressing
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt (Lawry’s)
Avocado Egg Spread for Open Faced Sandwich recipe Directions
- Place all egg yolks in a bowl
- Add chunks of avocado and mayonnaise and blend with a hand blender for two minutes, or until smooth
- Toast desired number of pieces of bread
- Spread 1/8 cup of spread on teach slice of toast
- Sprinkle each to taste with 1/2 – 1 teaspoon crushed crispy jalapenos and 1/8 to 1/4 tsp taco seasoning.
- Slice tomatoes into wedges and add to the tops of the open faced sandwiches
Egg White Salad Directions
- Chop egg whites into small pieces
- Slice grape tomatoes in half and add to the bowl
- Add chopped up red pepper
- Slice pickles for 1 cup and add it to the bowl
- Using a food processor to make the dressing: 2 cups chopped up fresh jalapenos, 3 Tbsp chopped onion, 1/2 cup Miracle Whip Dressing, 1 Tbsp sweetened lime juice and 1 tsp. seasoned salt. Grind for about 20-30 seconds.
- Add dressing to egg white mixture and stir to fully coat all ingredients
Serve immediately and store any remaining spread and salad in the fridge.
I make a reference to this salad in my contemporary Young Adult romance novel where the young teen chef Brian makes this recipe to share with his friends. To learn more about my novel, click here:Hungry Hearts
What does this open faced sandwich recipe with egg white salad taste like?
The open faced sandwich recipe tastes rich, savory, and the combination of the spread with the fresh tomato and crunchy toast is so very delicious. The salad is filling and tangy and I adore how it’s loaded with egg whites. The egg whites add bulk and they nicely balance out the strong flavors of the dill pickles and the spicy jalapeno. The tomatoes add sweetness and the onion adds more flavor as does the red pepper. It’s a great combination of vegetables, zingy lime juice, and fluffy egg whites.
This is a unique combination you will love.
As I mentioned above, this is a recipe from my cookbook One Dish Two Diets which contains multiple recipes and ideas for families composed of vegetarian members and meat-eaters. It gets to be hard to accommodate both diets all the time, but over the years I’ve come up with some recipes and meal plan ideas that make it easier for me as the cook to meet all of my family’s needs. This will help you not have to slave away as a short-order cook… at least reduce the need for that anyhow!One Dish Two Diets: Recipes for the Hybrid Vegetarian and Meat-Eating Family
I hope you enjoy this tasty open faced sandwich recipe and accompanying egg white salad. And if your family is a split table like mine, check out my cookbook for additional ideas. I also have multiple hybrid recipes on my website here as well, including:
Eat well and enjoy life!
Copyright ©2020 Julie Hoag Writer. All Rights Reserved.Follow me on Social Media