Veggie Stew Casserole with Whole Wheat Dumplings
Veggie Stew Casserole with Whole Wheat Dumplings is moist and reminiscent of a delicious stew. It could be eaten as an entree for vegetarians or as a side dish with meat. I created this recipe because I wanted a vegetable dish using the rarely used vegetable parsnips.
- 1/4 cup melted butter completely melt in the microwave
- 3 slices 100% whole wheat bread I used Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain 100% whole wheat bread. Cut into cubes.
- 1 cup carrots peeled and sliced to make bite size pieces
- 1 cup parsnips peeled and sliced, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup parsely chopped
- 1 cup zucchini sliced and chop slices into small pieces
- 1/4 cup onion diced into small pieces
- 1 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup 1% milk or use skim milk
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
Cut bread slices into cubes. Melt the butter completely in the microwave. Warm broth if cold. Stir together the melted butter and broth. Spray a 2 quart rectangular glass pan with cooking spray and spread bread cubes in single layer across the bottom of the pan. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Peel and cut carrots and parsnips into slices and bite size pieces, 1 cup of each. Slice zucchini and cut into small pieces enough for 1 cup. Dice celery (for 1/2 cup) and onion (for 1/4 cup). Stir vegetables and spread evenly over the bread.
Add the ground thyme, garlic salt, and grated parmesan cheese to the broth and butter mixture and stir well. Pour mixture over vegetables. Pour the milk all over the top. Sprinkle with dried parsley. Cover with tin foil and cook for 1 hour at 400 degrees. Remove foil and cook for another half hour until most of the liquid is absorbed.
Let cool before enjoying.
Enjoy this delicious side dish with any meat entree or as an entree item alone. I love how the bread pieces transform into dumplings in this yummy dish. It is a healthier version of dumplings than the white flour dumplings, plus the vegetables add healthy value too.
The grated parmesan cheese works better than the grated cheese because it blends better. Break up the parmesan cheese clumps and stir thoroughly. Warming the broth if cold helps prevent the melted butter from becoming solid chunks in the liquid mixture. If you prefer more liquid to make this dish more like a stew take it out sooner, just put fork in the veggies to ensure they are soft before you remove it. Save Save