Looking for a sweet, tasty, and unique appetizer? Try out my Pecan Squash Rolls Appetizer recipe. These rolls are so good they almost taste like a dessert, but they are made with a vegetable.
I love squash anytime of the year. I love the tasty combination of squash, pecans, and brown sugar so I set out to experiment in the kitchen to create a recipe using those ingredients. Tortillas are so versatile so I set out to make an appetizer roll wrapped up in a tortilla. This yummy appetizer rolls are so tasty it’s like you are eating a treat rather than a vegetable and nut roll. This is a perfect appetizer for a party or side dish any time of year. Fall is often filled with oodles of squash recipes, but I love this recipe anytime of year because it’s so good!
This easy Pecan Squash Rolls Appetizer makes a large amount of rolls perfect for a party or potluck, but it could easily be reduced to make less if desired. The recipe would be good as a side dish as well. It is vegetarian dish so it could be a stand alone appetizer or pair it up with a chicken or pork entree.
This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclaimer (link in top menu). If you purchase through the link, I receive a commission at no added cost to you. This helps me run my site. All opinions are 100% my own. I only include products I use and love.
Butternut squash is a winter squash with a gorgeous orange color. It is one of my favorite types of squash. Butternut squash is a healthy vegetable full of healthy vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Some of the healthy vitamins and minerals include vitamin A, C, B6, B2, K, manganese, copper, folate, pantothenic acid, omega 3 fats, and more.
(source: click to learn more about winter squash)
The Ingredients of the Pecan Squash Rolls Appetizer
The ingredients needed for this yummy recipe includes the following six items.
- 1 butternut squash
- 1/4 c. water
- 10 burrito size tortillas
- 1 c. butter
- 1/4 c. skim milk
- 6 ounces chopped pecans
- 10 Tbsp. brown sugar
The butternut squash must be fully cooked as the first step in this recipe. Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and lay it in a dish with about 1/4 c. water. Cook the squash for an hour at 400 degrees and scoop out the squash contents into a bowl. Combine the cooked squash with the butter and milk for the squash portion of the tortilla roll filling. Blend it together with a hand held mixer.
Building the Rolls
Building the rolls is easy. Spread the squash on the tortilla, next sprinkle with pecans and brown sugar. Roll up the tortilla and cook it. Slice the tortilla roll into one inch rolls to make it a bite size appetizer. I love it because it’s kind of like a mini dessert roll, but it’s made with healthy squash and pecans. See below for specific amounts for each roll.
The supplies required for this recipe include the following items.
- measuring cups and spoons
- 2 cookie sheets
- spoon to scoop out squash
- knife to slice tortilla roll
- hand held blender
This is the hand blender I used for this recipe. I love this hand blender and I use it frequently for small kitchen jobs when my bigger mixer is not needed. I love how easy it is to clean plus it fits easily in a drawer.
Related Appetizer post: Jalapeno Pumpkin & Chia Seed Wontons
This is an original recipe by Julie Hoag.
Pecan Squash Rolls Appetizer
- 3 cups cooked butternut squash
- 1 cup butter melted and divided
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 10 flour tortillas burrito size
- 6 ounces pecans crushed
- 10 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water to cook squash with in oven
- Cut butternut squash in half. Scoop out seeds. Place each half cut side down on a baking dish with sides. Add 1/4 cup water to the pan. Cook at 400 degrees for one hour. Scoop out squash and place in a bowl. Add 1 cup melted butter. Add 1/4 cup skim milk. Blend with a hand mixer for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes to thoroughly blend together. Blend until smooth.
- To crush pecans place pecans in a ziplock bag and seal. Crush with a kitchen mallet. Repeat several times using small ziplock bags or use one gallon size to crush them all at the same time. Crush into very small pieces.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Lay a tortilla on the pan or on a plate. Spread 1/3 cup squash mixture across tortilla. Sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons crushed pecans and 1 Tablespoon brown sugar. Roll tortilla tightly. Place rolls open side down to ensure the rolls stay closed during cooking. Place five rolls per cookie sheet.
- Cook pans separately for best results. Build the first pan of rolls and pop it in the oven. Let that cook while you build the second pans of rolls. Cook rolls for 22-25 minutes at 400 degrees until tortillas are browned and crispy. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Slice in about one inch size rolls. The rolls are ready to serve!